[CQ-Contest] Inspiration

Robert Shohet kq2m at mags.net
Wed Oct 3 18:26:48 EDT 2001

Part of what is so great about contesting is the fact that we can choose at
what level we wish to participate, over what period of time, at what level
of $ investment, in which types of events we participate, etc.

Certainly geography, career, family budgets, health and many other factors
come into play and often limit the level at which we can participate and/or
compete, but the great thing is that we CAN participate and compete at some
level.

I remember getting licensed 28 years ago.  I used inverted v's and shoveled
a lot of snow to buy a used TA33 Jr and AR? rotator to turn it.  I was puny
weak.  It was frustrating at times but each new country and contest score
was a fun challenge and a skill and character building exercise.  I had to
develop additional skill to compensate for lack of money, property,
equipment, etc.

When I could finally afford to buy a Used Heathkit SB220, 8 years later, it
led to a new level of contest participation, skill development, and a whole
new sets of goals, challenges, etc.

It was 12 years after that, that my wife and I bought our house and the I
began to build a station of wires, leading five years later to 2 towers,
yagis, etc.  A real station FINALLY after 25 years of being licensed!  It is
big by apartment dweller standards and small by competitive multi standards,
but it is fairly competitive and it is mine and that is one of the greatest
feelings in the world.

Along the way I guest operated more than 150 contests in almost every
operating category, and collected and bought used radios, antennas, rotators
and tower sections one at a time, for more than 20 years for my lifetime
goal of building my own station (which is far from complete - like most
other stations - HI!)

The point is that most of us started from modest beginnings and were driven
by our love for and challenge of the hobby - dxing, contesting, etc. and
along the way continued to develop our skills and our abilities, accumulate
experiences  and equipment, and hopefully build for the future.  Those who
had unrealistic expectations became frustrated and burned out and others who
were patient and loved the journey, are still around 30, 40 and 50+ years
later.

Regardless of how young or old, or how wealthy or poor we are, almost all of
us are fortunate enough to be able to participate in some station building
and competitive operating, at some level.  We simply need to be realistic
about what we can afford to spend, about our ability and skill level, about
our health, about our family and career commitments, about geography, etc.
If we can do this well, our enthusiasm and curiosity will take care of the
rest!

Let's see those big stations and the tiny ones side-by-side so we can fondly
remember our ingenuity from "our roots" as well as dream for the future.

73

Bob KQ2M

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com