[CQ-Contest] Re: K3NM/LU9AY 40M SSB FCC Fiasco

Barry N1EU n1eu at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:06:12 EDT 2001

It is an extremely unpleasant situation to be on the receiving end of an
unwarranted incident such as this.  It is a disservice on the part of the
ARRL to wholesale publish this information and a lack of do process afforded
the "accused."

Personally, it took me 7 months to convince Riley that at best he was
dealing with a computer gotcha at the FCC (I'll spare you the details).
Afterwards, I was shocked to discoved that the ARRL (and others) routinely
publish all records of FCC actions dealing with amateurs.

These published records do not go away and anybody can perform a general Web
search on a name or callsign and quickly come to a wrong conclusion about
someone.  After all, they were the "target" of an FCC investigation.  Even
though I was able to finally exonerate myself, the original unamended
records are still up on the Web today.

(If you're curious, look at the following links under "Delmar").

http://www.arrl.com/news/enforcement_logs/1999/0811.html
http://www.arrl.com/news/enforcement_logs/2000/0315.html

73,
Barry  N1EU