[CQ-Contest] Re: K3NM/LU9AY 40M SSB FCC Fiasco

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Wed Oct 10 12:03:23 EDT 2001

As much as I find the situation distateful (regardless
of the facts surrounding the interference event) it is
not uncommon for "news" to get headlines in the US,
only to have retractions published days, weeks, months
later on some back page.

If it is true that the info is in the public record,
it does afford the ARRL the right to publish it on
their website.  In that case, by doing so does not
really make them an active participant in any kind of
misleading process.  However, I am troubled by what
seems to be the fact that the ARRL has selected this
enforcement letter as a "representative" (their word)
sample.  Does this mean that the ARRL  (for whatever
motive) thinks that a slam on a contester deserves
special attention? Or maybe there were so many
other "anti-contester" letters that at least one
deserved mention?  I would like to know if (and where)
the comprehensive list is for review.

One problem in all this would be if the FCC
regularly gets itself involved in similar
disagreements without proof.  I've heard they do
little with a tape recording.  Was there one in
this case?

Another problem is if this does get resolved, and the "charges" against K3NM, et al, "are dropped", I suspect we might not hear (read) about it.

73 Mike N2MG