[CQ-Contest] Why I Won't Be in CQWW CW This Year

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 15 19:08:51 EDT 2001

Here's an armchair analysis of CQWW CW participation by
location:
I looked at scores from reported on 3830 last year. I wanted to find
a high score in zone 8 (for easy analysis of 2 point (mostly US) vs.
3 point locations) for analysis, and picked 8P9Z. If you do the math
to figure out the average worth of each QSO (score divided by
mults), it was about 2.6 points.
Assuming most of the 2 pointers came from the US, rather than
other Caribb (mostly US Dxpeditions anyway) and VE stations,
that means about 40% of 8P9Z's QSOs were with the US. Less
than half, but I wouldn't say "most" participants come from outside
the US.
73,
Barry W2UP