[CQ-Contest] Re: [3830] CQWW SSB AA4V/KP2 M/S HP

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 30 10:18:13 EST 2001

....why is it I think I know who this "swl" is?

If it is who I think it is, an ex-ham who had his ticket pulled, I have some
strong doubts as to whether or not this is indeed an entry which falls
within the spirit of the rules.  I am not a member of a committee...I am
just a contester a bit uneasy with this entry.

It may not be illegal for him to be in the "second chair" but I question who
really did the operating this past weekend...especially if this is who I
think it is and his currently running advertisements for discounted rental
rates for the current contest season...I suspect I am right based on the low
band numbers.

Again, assuming this is who I think it is:

I am concerned about a signal this may send the amateur community as to
contesting's welcoming operations of an ex-ham who lost his license, not one
who let it drop but had it taken away from him.

Alas, just because someone is a good operator in a contest does not make
them a good guy - ham radio has seen this again and again...a rotten apple
is a rotten apple.  In a time when contesting and hf operating in general is
under scrutiny do we want someone to say, heah the contesters even welcome
hams who have had their license pulled...

I for one do not want to have this ex-ham (again, if it is who I think it
is) said to be one of my contesting brethren.

Nomex On

Jim, K4OJ