[CQ-Contest] Bose Noise-canceling headphones

k1dg at ix.netcom.com k1dg at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 12 15:33:03 EDT 2001

TOMK5RC at aol.com replied:

>I bit the bullet last year and bought the Bose headphones.
>They are one of the best investments I've made
>...some RF gets into the amplifier unit

Here's my 2-cents worth (actually USD300)...

got mine for my birthday in April, and I love 'em. I tried the
USD75 noise-cancelling headphones advertised in QST, and was
very disappointed...they were uncomfortable, and seemed to create
an acoustic pressure in my ears. I tried them on a plane, and
they did not do a very good job of cancelling the cabin noise. I
didn't like them. Anyone want to buy 'em?

The Bose phones are lightweight, comfortable, sound great, and
the noise-cancellation works as advertised. I've tried them on a
plane, and they are amazing in their ability to knock down engine
noise so you can actually listen to the audio track of the inflight
movie.

I have only used them in one contest (Sprint). They knock down the
noises in the shack (Alpha 76A, rattly-fan AL-1200, PC, and air-
conditioning) so effectively that I had to take off the headphones to check to see if the fans were still running! Like Tom, I had a
problem with RF getting into the electronics when the beams were
pointed at the shack, but a 4-5 turns of the cord on a snap-on
ferrite bead cured that.

I have not added a boom mike - past experiences in jury-rigging a
Heil boom mike to good phones (Beyer DT-550, for example, which is
another extremely nice lightweight headphone circa 1990) have been
unsatisfactory. I only operate CW from home anyway, so SSB
enhancements can wait. Bose sells a headphone with boom mike, but
at $1000, it'll have to wait.

73,

Doug K1DG

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com