[CQ-Contest] M/M power and maximum legal

IT9GSF Fabio Grisafi fgrisafi at tin.it
Tue Sep 18 02:08:42 EDT 2001

Hello from Italy,

a friend in Italy told me that all the stations during the CQWW contest can
use a maximum of 1500 Watts output and that
the maximum power is not yet related to the maximum legal power... or
better, the maximum usable power is the legal power when it doesn't exceed
1500 W.

My question is.... what about stations using different amplifiers with
different antennas fed by the same exciter ?

For example, a station can have Antenna 1 on 20 mts to the JA direction with
1000 W and Antenna 2 to the USA
direction with 1200 W. Is this station legal or not ?

If you consider the E.R.P. minus the antenna gain the power will not exceed
the maximum power to any direction, but if I
use 5000 W to a dipole I will not be legal but my signal strenght will be
lower, but I will have a very large target area.

Personally, I don't believe that power is a primary task for contest
winners... first you should consider other factors as
antennas, propagation, operators skill, etcetera....and then power if it is
not 100 W.

Expecially in a MULTI/MULTI, to have six 3 KW amplifiers with power line
problems due to the excessive power cosumption
is not so competitive as to have six 1 KW amplifiers well running without
power problems.

Now, please, let me say that this time we are preparing the CQWW Contests
from IG9A and we are not so happy because of
the brutal attacks we had in New York and Washington (I say WE because it
was an attack to the umanity and we think that
american people should know that they are not alone.  Personally, I do have
some money in the NYSE, NASDAQ but I
didn't change because they (the terrorists) want we do that. I hope the
world awake and react with peace and progress.
(This was the name of a communist radio in the 70s and 80s, but I am not
communist, HI HI).

So, I wish to thank all those friends that are working to make the IG9A 2001
effort a real thing !

We see many hams all over Italy (but USA and Europe too !) working on
antennas, software, interfaces, radios, cables, towers,
rotators, filters, beverages boxes, power splitter, amplifiers, and so on.

We plan to use special phased antennas this year with different heights over
the sea.

The CQWW adventure is, of course, a full year effort !

Also special thanks to Antonello, IT9EQO, President of ARI-RG, for his
support and Flavio, IV3TMV, for his hardwork in antennas,
all the friends from M.Capra Contest Group (IQ4A) and all the MCC, Marconi
Contest Club, members and Giorgio, I2VXJ.

Thanks also to Mario, I2MQP, for his support, again this year, in being our
QSL manager.

Some of the operators will be 9H1EL, 9A6A, SV8CS, I4VEQ, I4TJE, I4EAT,
IT9CHU, and others coming from many parts of the world.

We are still looking for a high speed pile-upper for 15 or 20 meters band
operation. If you are a well known contester send an e-mail
to my personal address... you will receive an application form with some
skill questions.

I wish to excuse me with some contesters that have already sent their
application, if you didn't get an answer from me, please,
send an other e-mail (we had some problems with an e-mail account).

See you during the CQWW RJ RTTY Contest.... we will be QRV from Lampedusa
Island, African Italy, as IG9A M/S, with YL2KA,
YL2CW, and other operators that will drive all over Europe by car to reach
Lampedusa.

Best 73 and CU IN TEST,
Fabio, IT9GSF...................one of  ( I G 9 A ).

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com