[CQ-Contest] Output pad for running QRP?

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Fri Sep 28 15:33:06 EDT 2001

> What is the best way to attenuate the output of a 100w transceiver to
> achieve 5w output?  My current radio puts out around 10 watts when the
> level is at the minimum.

Since I use radios to measure IMD of amplifiers on a regular basis,
I can offer an opinion based on measured data.

I'd ALWAYS use an attenuator pad, and never rely on anything
else, unless I cared less about IMD performance. The only
exception would be if I checked the system and knew it was OK.

Many radios have notoriously slow ALC systems, and virtually all
solid state radios go through a minimum in net transmitter IMD
when operated at the rated power. Even if that isn't a factor, every
radio I know of biases a stage closer towards cutoff to reduce drive.
That works OK if the gain reduction is slight, but it is a big time
problem if you are reducing gain more than the factory planned on
for normal operation. What you are doing is moving a very early
class A amplifier towards class C (cut-off) to reduce gain!

For example, my stock IC751A's have the best IMD performance at
about 50 watts PEP output with two steady equal tones. I want to
keep the peak power mostly around that point, which means when
I get frequent peaks at 100 watts a lot of the TIME of the envelope
is spent around the optimum power value. If I run less power, down
around 5 watts, IMD is actually about 5 dB worse. At about 2
watts,obtained through ALC reduction, IMD skyrockets.

I've seen some systems change even more than that, when stages
are not biased properly. If standing current is too low, IMD
performance improves with more drive! So it is more than an ALC
problem.

IMD power almost always gets worse at low power levels in solid
state radios, and virtually always much worse at higher than rated
power levels, when compared to the main signal power at that level.

I've noticed some radios even have internal adjustments moved to
allow more power than the factory uses. That's bad news just like
excessive power reduction is (or worse).

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com