[CQ-Contest] RE: CQ-Contest digest, Vol 1 #523 - 15 msgs

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Dec 3 11:35:37 EST 2002

At 09:01 PM 12/3/02 -0600, Dale L Martin wrote:
>Can't one just turn down the run radio sidetone to where it is barely
>audible?
>
>I was going to rewire my homebrew SO2R box to do the switching while
>transmitting bit, but then I realized I could just adjust the sidetone
>downwards and just listen to the mult/S&P radio with one ear.

I did this with my TopTen box when I discovered at the start of SS that its
"PTT" function -- which puts both ears on the second radio while the run
radio was transmitting -- wasn't working (a wiring error on my part).  Then
I tried it in CQWW CW, set up properly.  I felt the latter was a huge
advantage -- the extra presence and focus of having both ears on the S&P
rig was very helpful to this neophyte SO2R guy.

By the way, the TopTen will work several ways -- both ears on the radio
that the software has selected, one ear on each when both are listening, or
both ears on whichever radio *isn't* transmitting.  It's very helpful in my
limited experience  to be able to switch your focus so that, for example,
you can S&P aggressively, or put both ears on the run radio when you're
being called by one of the QRP guys with an indoor dipole.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower