[CQ-Contest] Contesting, Ham Radio and the Internet

Rick Bullon kc5ajx at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 20:07:52 EST 2002

>From: Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com>
>To: cq-contest at contesting.com
>Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting, Ham Radio and the Internet
>Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 05:12:17 -0500
>

>Some people worry a lot that the Internet is providing an attractive
>alternative to ham radio, particularly for the young.
>
>There is one dimension that clearly distinguishes the two, to the advantage
>of ham radio, and that is competition.  DXers and contesters have no
>Internet counterparts.  QST and the amateur community in general should be
>playing up this difference, not seeking to exile it to special-interest
>niches on the web, where only DXers and contesters will be aware of it.
>
>73, Pete N4ZR
>
>The revised World Contest
>Station Database
>is online at www.pvrc.org

Hello Pete
I hate to disagree with you but the youngsters do have a place to compete on
the internet. They play games against each other or on teams ( SO and
Multi-multi in contesters terms) on severs on the net. They even have scores
posted on the servers of the top players. Kind of of like our top ten  or
box scores.
My nephew plays several of the first person shooter games on the net. He has
built his computer system just for this purpose. He has almost as much money
in his computers as I have in my ham station! He has a computer that uses
water to cool the CPU in the computer!
This and chat rooms are where a lot of the young people are going on the
net. There are severs on the net just for these games. MSN has one as well
as several of the companies that makes these games.
So the young people can do almost what we do.

We contest     They play games
We rag chew     They chat

They only thing we do that they have no equal to is DX!
73
Rick
KC5AJX

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com