[CQ-Contest] What the ARRL Board did

W5JBP at aol.com W5JBP at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 18:54:55 EST 2002

Thanks for putting me in the loop.

 I just want to point out that not only did we suggest that instead of
putting the board minutes on the web to save pages, we also offered to only
print pages 10 and 12 (directors and SM listings) once a quarter to save
pages. We wanted to be fair.

I know that this has become an emotional subject, but one has to look at the
other side as well. The cost of paper to print QST is up, postage is up and
going up again the middle of this year by 8%. Health insurance is out of
sight (if you get it as a perk from your employer you are lucky) and going up
even more. We have to face all of these issues as a prudent business man or
in the future their may not be a League.

Our thoughts were not to just "dump" contests but rather improve on the "soap
box" part with more copy and photos. 99% of the contesters here in Dallas
know pretty well how they did on Monday after the contest. By putting the
results (line scores) on the ARRL web, you would get them 4 to 6 weeks faster.

So, my thoughts in a brief moment.

73

Jim Haynie, W5JBP
President, ARRL