[CQ-Contest] ARRL Contest Coverage - Response from BoD

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Mon Jan 28 11:15:25 EST 2002

Fellow Contesters,

Last week, I received the attached letter from Dave Sumner, K1ZZ. I take it as
a very positive response from the BoD to our request for a delay in the QST
decision. ARRL president, Jim Haynie, W5JBP, also called me to discuss this
decision. We spoke at length. Jim expressed his appreciation for our
constructive approach, and he really wants our involvement in finding the best
possible solution. He enthusiastically approved the creation of our ad hoc ARRL
Contest Coverage Working Group.

Now, we need to continue to organize the Working Group, and in cooperation with
the League, we can zero in on a great solution that will meet [and exceed]
everyone's expectations.

73,

Jim K1IR

**************** Contents of Letter Follows ****************

January 24, 2002

James S. Idelson, K1IR
96 Morse Road
Sudbury, MA 01776

Dear Jim:

This is in response to your letter of January 15 addressed to the ARRL Board of
Directors. Thanks for your constructive approach. The letter was circulated to
all of the attendees at last week's Board Meeting.

The following excerpt from the minutes of the meeting will be of interest to
you:

   41. On motion of Mr. Stinson, seconded by Mr. Isely, it was MOVED that the
2002 budget submission is approved. On motion of Mr. Bellows, seconded by Mr.
Maxwell, it was VOTED to amend the motion by adding the following resolution:
   WHEREAS, the ARRL management and ARRL Board of Directors are committed to
effectively and efficiently providing information of interest to all ARRL
members; and
   WHEREAS, the two primary means of providing information to members are QST
magazine and the ARRL Web site; and
   WHEREAS, ARRL management and the ARRL Administration & Finance Committee
have proposed moving Section News and Contest Result line scores to the
enhanced ARRL Web site in an effort to reduce ARRL operating losses while still
affording a means of providing that information to ARRL members; and
WHEREAS, prior to deciding to relocate QST content from QST to the Web site it
is desirable that members are aware of the reasons for the proposed relocation
and the enhanced capabilities available on the Web site; and
WHEREAS, deferring the decision to relocate QST content will afford an
opportunity to better understand the effect of such an action and investigate
how best to provide this information and expanded content to members while
being mindful of our fiscal responsibilities; and
WHEREAS, deferring the decision to relocate Section News and Contest Result
line scores will afford an opportunity to evaluate variations and alternatives
to the proposal.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the determination of whether to relocate
Section News and Contest Line scores from QST to the ARRL Web shall be deferred
until the July, 2002 Board meeting.

The question then being on the motion as amended, the same was ADOPTED.

For the next several months, staff will be working on two enhancements to the
ARRL contest program. First, we will be working with volunteers to improve the
editorial content of contest results, both in QST and on the Web. The objective
is to use QST to describe and explain the event so as to interest
non-participants as well as participants, and to use the expanded coverage that
is possible on the Web to convey the more detailed information that is of
interest mainly to serious competitors. Second, we will be developing and
implementing Web-based tools to provide members with an opportunity to perform
their own analyses on detailed data, such as band-by-band contact and
multiplier breakdowns for all participants and not just for the leading
scorers.

As I mentioned to you at the time I initially acknowledged your letter, there
were no plans to remove the contest line scores from QST before the January
2003 issue. In July the Board will assess where we are and what further steps,
if any, should be taken.

Membership Services Manager Wayne Mills, N7NG, will serve as the focal point
for the staff work described above and will welcome input from you and your
group.

Thanks again.

73,

Sincerely,