[CQ-Contest] PC hits CQ-Contest

Hans K0HB k0hb at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 6 17:29:33 EST 2002

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 00:53:08 -0500 k4oj <k4oj at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I been holding back...and it ain't been easy!
>
> a) I do not believe this person exists but is a
> figment of someone's  imagination designed to
> voice a point of view without them having to
> say that they cannot handle SS CW because it is
> too fast.

Damn OJ, you shoulda held back.  Excuse me while I piss flaming napalm all
over your strawman.

N0FP is a friend of mine, an enthusiastic new contester, an accomplished CW
operator, a contributing member of Minnesota Wireless Association, and
something of an "evangalist" for everything related to ham radio.

To put the lie to your accusation the he "cannot handle SS CW because it is
too fast", Ford put together a 100K+ SOLP SS CW effort last weekend.
(Something like 700 Q's and a Sweep, if memory serves.) That may not be "top
10", but it ain't too shabby for a first effort at SSCW.

I mentioned earlier that Ford is something of an evangalist. (That's a "Good
Thing (tm)" by the way.)  So, while I don't agree with all of Ford's
conclusions on this matter, I am 100% certain that Ford did in fact coerce
some unsuspecting newbie into trying SSCW.  And I further believe that the
results of that disaster are something similar to what Ford describes.

Now we can have all sorts of highminded discussion about Fords' reaction to
his friends experience, but accusing Ford of making it all up to voice a point
of view is simply a cheap shot, and unworthy of a topnotch guy like you.  You
owe Ford an apology.

73, de Hans, K0HB