[CQ-Contest] Fishy spots in WPX SSB

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 15:52:38 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/11/03 6:43:34 PM Greenwich Standard Time, ludal at dmv.com
writes:

> I have the utmost respect for those of you walking the picket
> lines protesting the use of packet in contests.  I think the
> distinction between human operating skills and technical progress
> is a bit fuzzy.  Hans' point could be extended to eliminate
> my spiffy computer logging program, commercial towers,
> store bought antennas, SO2R boxes, and electronic keyers.

The use of packet is very different than all of the other items listed.
Packet is using another operator's skills during the contest.  Another human
being is assisting you during the contest.  None of the other things you
listed does that.
   Packet spots can and are used by cheaters.  Not all who use packet are
cheaters,    just those who self-spot and suck spots without declaring
assisted operator status.

Bill K4XS