[CQ-Contest] Non-rare spots during contest

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Dec 5 11:56:48 EST 2003

> I say again DX Spotting networks are for spotting rare or semi rare
DX.
> One
> major web spotting network does not like their site taken over by non
rare
> spots or the ARRL SS.
> True most of us can filter this out but they can't and the poor
station
> without this finally resorts to looking at 17 or 12 for spots.   We
need a
> new spotting network with a charter to support contests.
> 73 Dave K4JRB

you have it backwards.  This network was designed and built for
contests.  What you need is a new network dedicated to dx chasing.  Let
me take you way back... in the first days of packet spotting the
'network' as it was at the time was turned on Friday, everyone figured
out how to digipeat to the nearest node and tried to figure out how to
keep the rf out of the radio and terminal.  After several tries at this
I convinced several other stations that we had to keep the 'network' on
the air 24/7 or risk not having clear enough frequencies when we went to
do a contest.... thus was born the dx (vs contest) spotting network.
You see, spotting dx was only a way to keep the frequencies occupied in
between contests.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net