[CQ-Contest] CB QRM in 10m test (opposite)

k1ttt at arrl.net k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Dec 19 10:54:03 EST 2003

> I have often thought that when the big gun stations have nothing to do
> between contests they should spend a few hours each day looking for
> CBers on 10.  When they find one, get on its freq and call CQ using RTTY
> until the pirate QRTs.  Then find another one and repeat.  Why RTTY?
>  It's probably more annoying than CW and they would have no idea of
> where it is coming from.  Well, a few hours a day is asking a lot.
>  Might be fun to try it a little, though.

try if you want, but there are a couple things to remember.
first, the truckers and even many of the base stations i have heard on 10m
are very close together.  the truckers that hang out around 28085 are
often running head to tail down the road commenting on things they are
passing.  because of this you will not interfer with who they are talking
to unless you are very close to them.

second, rtty is not very annoying if you are on AM as most of them are.
If you listen to a single rtty station with your radio in AM it sounds
like a dead carrier, maybe with some small clicks.  CW is much more
annoying.  someone has been putting their AFSK on AM instead of SSB on
28085, unfortunately i don't think this is a legal mode... his intention
is obviously good, but the execution could be improved.  someone else also
yells at them 'this is not a cb channel' most of the time they never hear
him or are very good at ignoring the interference.

finally, in some areas people are trying to df or identify these guys from
their transmissions and the intentional qrm doesn't help with that effort.
 so my recommendation is that if you have something to do, or really want
to call cq on top of them in order to hold a real qso then do it... but
just sitting there trying to qrm them is basically wasting your time and
may be hindering df or identification operations.  if you happen to be
close enough that they can hear you it may be better to spend a bit of
time tracking them down and getting them reported to the authorities.