[CQ-Contest] Packet - THE solution

Scott R. w4pa at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 07:37:36 EDT 2003

K5TR wrote:

>we can all use logging programs that put out a self spot every time
>a CQ is called.  Maybe the logging program could have an option to
>allow a self spot to be put out for each QSO logged to with the
>callsign of the station worked put in the comment field - or just put
>the spots out as being spotted by the station worked.

George,

Hold the phone!  You have inadvertently hit on the solution - overflow
the packet networks with redundant spots during the contest to make the
use of packet in radio contesting completely frivolous!

I move we, the contest community, immediately allow self spotting on
packet networks during contests.  This will solve several problems
all at once: 1) self spotting will not be cheating 2) single op
entrants who cheat by watching packet will now be flooded with
information and won't be able to do it as well 3) the crappy spots that
appear will disappear quicker, forcing entrants in multi op categories
to actually hunt down and copy the correct call 4) the pileups created
by packet use on multipliers will be minimized greatly, allowing
quicker access to the mult during the course of the contest.

Tongue FIRMLY in cheek - I do think that self-spotters, and those who
request on the air to be spotted on the packet network should be DQed.

Scott W4PA

=====
Always been the radio's child
Quick-to-smile precious baby