Answers to [CQ-Contest] Need help with logging software using WIN2000

S Nace kn5h at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 07:37:57 EST 2004

Many thanks to all that answered.
After some interesting research and a few days of head scratching, the old saying "read the manual" still holds true. It was a miss config in the software's station ID setting (I had both stations with the same ID).
So, I was able to network 2 WIN2000 laptops via the com ports and the proper ribbon cable.
73 de KN5H

Bob Naumann - N5NJ <n5nj at gte.net> wrote:
What software are you running?

If you're running DOS versions of CT or NA or TR, all bets are off. Win2K does not let DOS software access your serial ports directly. (Same goes for parallel ports, but there are solutions for LPT ports for CW keying etc.)

Hyperterm uses the Windows API to use the serial port, and that's why it works.

You probably should consider switching to Writelog or N1MM software.

If it's too late, you probably should boot your PC's into DOS and run the "old way".

73,
Bob N5NJ