[CQ-Contest] SO3R? try S06R!!!

Alan C. Zack k7acz at cox.net
Sat Apr 10 00:36:58 EDT 2004

Yes, but if WHM was like the Coast Guard Radio Stations (NMC, NMH,
etc) each receiver was monitoring a fixed frequency, no tuning around
to be done.
Also from the Navigators seat of a C-130 monitoring 2 HF transceivers,
plus VHF-AM on the ATC band, VHF-FM on the Marine/Police band, and
UHF-AM on the military air traffic control band, plus all the chatter
on the intercom.  The first C-130's I flew on also had a 500 kc (it
was kc back then) transmitter working into a 300 ft or so trailing
wire antenna.

K3FT wrote:

> Not to bust anyone's bubble.. but when I operated as a commercial Marine CW
> operator at a Maryland Coast station WMH, I stood sole man watches.
>
> It was normal to have to monitor multiple radios on multiple bands
> simultaneously AND while working a ship with traffic to also have to keep an
> ear on the remaining receivers in case anyone called while I was working
> traffic.  They had 500 kHz, 6/8/12/16/22 MHz. running at the same time.
>
> So I did SO6R!  <big grin!>
>
> (and we won't count having the listenfor the telephones, telex, and TWX)
>
> Those were the REALLY fun days. I miss them!
>
> 73
> K3FT

 Alan Zack
 Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
 Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
 Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
 SEMPER PARATUS
 http://www.gocoastguard.com/