[CQ-Contest] Contesting tips and tricks - not

Steve Root steve.root at culligan4water.com
Tue Dec 14 10:52:23 EST 2004

> There was a movement once to adopt "IE" (didit dit) to enquire on CW if
> the frequency is in use. I don't think it ever became widespread in use,
> maybe because the dits can be lost in the noise so easily on a weak
> signal.
>
> I do hear it used from time to time.
>
> 73, Zack W9SZ

Probably from me.  I usually use didit dit followed by a QRL ? when I'm
looking for a hole.  Sometimes I get a dit back.  It's a lot quicker than
QRL? but most guys don't know what it means.

I used to be vehemently opposed to SO2R after a bad experience in the 2000
ARRL DX contest.  I was pushed off a run frequency by a rather famous K0 who
came back to "his" frequency after I had asked QRL?, gotten no response,
called CQ, and ran several JA's.  Certainly that was a long enough period of
time to establish that he had lost that frequency and that it now belonged
to me.  In the end, big stacks and a Southern QTH won out over a short tower
and a Northern QTH.  Since then I think we've all learned a lot about SO2R
operation and how to deal with it.  I haven't experienced anything like that
in the last few years.  It's up to the SO2R to learn how to defend his
frequency, and that includes avoiding packet pileups on stations he isn't
going to pop quickly.

73 Steve K0SR