[CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Tue Feb 3 02:12:37 EST 2004

W9WI replied to SM2EKM:

> > Is it legal in the US not to identify for every QSO?
>
>As a matter of fact, no; from
>http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/47cfr97.119.htm :
>"Sec. 97.119  Station identification.
>
>     (a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand
>station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting
>channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes
>during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of
>the transmissions from the station known to those receiving
>the transmissions. ..."

Unless one considers an entire weekend to be one big communication,
this suggests US stations must ID with their call at least once at the end
of every Q.

If my recollection is correct & the intent hasn't changed, if a Q lasts longer
than 10 minutes, then a US station must ID once every ten minutes during
that Q.  This tends to support the ID-at-end-of-every-Q conclusion if
"communication" = "QSO".

>That said, I think most of the offenders being cited in this thread are
>DX stations not under jurisdiction of the US government.

The basic issue of station identification is no doubt in the ITU-RR & unless
we're talking about a pariah state, administrations' laws/regulations generally
are based on stuff like that.

Personally, I like to ID on every Q & rarely find doing so to be
detrimental.  That
said, I'm not an N6TJ or CT1BOH & probably will never be.  Perhaps at their
level,
not IDing can be used strategically, but for the vast majority of everybody
else,
it's a detriment for all concerned.

As well as being contrary to license conditions for probably far more of us
than
we realize.

73, VR2BrettGraham