[CQ-Contest] Slashed-Zero - Please Don't

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Wed Aug 3 17:32:29 EDT 2005

Ah - viewing your log while using a slashed-zero font is a different thing.
Since it doesn't change the character code in the file, that's OK.  Pardon
me for my imprecision and/or misunderstanding of your original post.

However, a number of folks have been observed to edit their Cabrillo logs
and substitute the slashed zero character for the "true zero", which is
ASCII decimal 060.  This is not OK and causes heartburn with the
log-checking software or the admins.

Here's how to use Microsoft Word to tell if a slashed-zero in your file is a
"true zero" or just the way in which the selected font represents a "true
zero".  Open the file (back it up, first), highlight the zero then select
Insert followed by Symbol.  A table of characters will appear.  The "true
zero" will be highlighted in the table between forward-slash (/) and the
numeral 1.  If any other character is highlighted, you don't have a "true
zero".

73, Ward N0AX