[CQ-Contest] Contest Support

Bob Naumann - W5OV W5OV at W5OV.com
Thu Aug 4 09:38:04 EDT 2005

Ev,

Anyone can operate as they see fit today.  There is no requirement for an
operator to operate in a manner that aligns with any specific operating
category.  For example, you could operate several radios on the same band at
the same time if you want to.  However, the rules do not allow for that in
competition for the various category awards as the contest sponsors have
defined.

I do think that it is the right, and responsibility of the sponsors to
define what types of operations they will consider as competitive entries in
their contest and how they will be grouped.

You are suggesting that you should be able to define your own class, operate
it, then have the sponsors group those who may have operated in the same
fashion to suit you?  I'm sure you would realize the logistical nightmare
such a non-arrangement would be.

Yuri's comment was in response to a critique of his and others' constant
carping and whining about the status quo in management of today's' contest
adjudication, plaque and certificate distribution.  He has a particular axe
to grind which he insists on focusing on the contest management rather than
those who remove his call on purpose from their logs.  I can't imagine why
that happens.

Much of this critical commentary reminds me of a verse in Steve Martin's
"Grandmother Song" where Martin says:

"Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus.
Be dull and boring and omnipresent.
Criticize things you don't know about.
Be oblong and have your knees removed. "

Obviously, the part of the lyric that applies here is: "Criticize things you
don't know about".

73,
W5OV