[CQ-Contest] ARRL 160 and DX Window

Ed K1EP k1ep.list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:48:00 EST 2005

At 12/7/2005 04:04 AM, Jeff Maass wrote:
>On 160 meters, when a station has many directional receive
>antennas, it might be that they actually did not hear you.
>
>At K1LT last weekend, Victor had 13 Beverages selectable,
>and often any given station was "present" only on one or
>two of them. Listening on the transmit antenna when "QRL?"
>sometimes helps, if the other station is not under the
>noise.
>
>When the focus is on listening for Europe during peak
>hours, domestic stations off the back or sides may be
>completely undetected for long periods of time (although
>we try to cycle through all directions regularly).

I think that it is incumbent upon those stations to cycle through their beverages or listen on the TX antenna often.  Nothing is more annoying than hearing a loud station transmitting with apparently an omni or bi-directional antenna and listening in some selective direction.  He is 20db over in your receiver and you call and call and call with no reply.  Maybe if he was transmitting CQ EU that would be a little different.  How do we know where he is listening?