[CQ-Contest] WRTC Selection Criteria

Hal Offutt Hal at japancorporateresearch.com
Tue Dec 20 17:40:01 EST 2005

I think Jeff is absolutely right that the WRTC should be open to anyone who
wants to participate.  Something like a marathon, to use a sports analogy.*
There have to be a lot of great ops out there who simply do not have the
time or the access to competitive stations to operate enough contests to
earn a place in the WRTC under the current rules.  If anyone were allowed to
compete it would at a single stroke wipe out the inequalities in the current
system.

However, the logistics of doing this would be a huge, huge challenge and
there would still be good and bad locations, local QRM, and many other
problems to overcome.  But it sure would be cool if there were a way to do
it.

Jeff remarked "the bottom line is that contesting is not fair."  Maybe Jeff
is too pessimistic.  I think the pursuit of the level playing field is a
worthwhile endeavor and that we should keep trying.  Right now, I'd say the
closest we have come is the mobile category in a state QSO party where most
stations are using very similar stations and the winners are the stations
who get the most out of those stations.  Interesting that Jeff is himself an
accomplished practitioner of this growing segment of contesting.

73,

Hal W1NN

*Yes, I know that some marathons have to limit the number of participants;
no analogy is perfect.