[CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Sat Jan 22 17:18:03 EST 2005

> It seems as if this job could be reasonably done with some sort of
> serial-to-bcd converter, appropriately programmed for the Kenwoods,
> followed by the TopTen style decoders.  The trouble with this
> new-generation stuff is that it's really pricey, so far.

The problem is the need to "read" the serial data stream and catch
the proper VFO commands.  That requires a UART in, some intelligence
(PIC or more advanced microprocessor), a UART out and a parallel
driver.

> Another, somewhat related topic.  Ultimately, parallel ports
> are going away too.  Is there any SO2R hardware out there that
> can sense Radio A/B toggles from any source except LPT pin 14?

Not to my knowledge ... I know of one vendor working on a standard
for serial control using USB virtual ports and custom hardware.
Unfortunately, this will take a serial port of the "opposite" sense
of the normal PC port.  The PC port (DTE) has only two controllable
output lines: DTR and RTS ... while the opposite port (DCE) has four
controllable outputs: DSR, CTS, CD, and RI.

> Is there any logging *software* that provides serial A/B switching?

Not to my knowledge.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK