[CQ-Contest] QRPers --- Please QRQ

K6VVA - Contester dx35 at hilding.com
Tue Nov 8 00:25:13 EST 2005

NCCC NS "East of the Mississippi" Award winner, John, K4BAI, wrote:

 > In my opinion Hans, you should tell the QRPer that you didn't copy his
 > exchange, so there is no QSO at this time.  Maybe he will call later and
 > you will get the exchange then.  You no doubt want him to go away, but
 > it is really rude to lie to him that you got his exchange and logged him
 > and not to do so.  I have very little trouble at home or from NQ4I or a
 > Caribbean location saying "No QSO--try later" even on CW. It works well
 > and is more in line with what we would want others to do for us.

Well put, John...essentially the good old "Golden Rule".

That being said, Barry, W2UP, wrote:

 > P.S. I still think WE should get double points for working QRPers.
 > It's the receiving station that has the hard job!

Amen & Amen.  Over 10% of my SS QSOs were with "Q" stations, and 75% of
those were "brain beaters" in trying to copy them way down in the
crud.  I'm now thinking triple points would be better compensation :-)

IMHO, the Contest Sponsors really have a responsibility to start putting a
note within their posted rules (hopefully in BOLD RED PRINT) to remind
people...especially QRP ops...to PLEASE check their RIT/XIT settings so
they don't keep calling wayyyyy off frequency and often out of bandpass
range, which happens in too many contests.

The rules should also include BOLD RED TEXT indicating WHY each operator
should understand what "PREC" and "CK" mean *** BEFORE *** operating in the
SS contest.  And, if asked to repeat only ONE part of the exchange, to NOT
send the whole enchilada.

Please...ARRL...help us all out here *** BEFORE *** next year's SS so we
can all experience more "Contesting JOY".  It will only take adding another
sentence or two to the official rules.

Thank You!!!

73...

Rick, K6VVA