[CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...

Timo Klimoff timo.klimoff at dnainternet.net
Tue Aug 15 00:39:56 EDT 2006

I know why DXCC has made this rule, but I still think it's a bit
overreacting ...

1) this rule at first assumes that DX-peditions make a lot of busted qsos -
in the contests we usually work around 1% busted qsos where callsign is
incorrect or other station is not in the log. In the DX-pedition log this
means 100 busted calls for every 10000 qsos. And if you are DX-ped not in
the contest, you should easily get percentage much smaller -you are not in
hurry and you have a band as your own.

2) of these 100 qsos DXCC now assumes that there is many cheaters among
them, ok, how many, 1? 99? How many of those busted calls collect DXCC award
anyone? In Finland propably only  maybe 5% of active DXers really owned an
award (now a bit more when we have a field check here).

3) via electronic log, if you are in the other log, you will get a credit
anyhow - no need for publishing a log

4) many operations QSL 100% ... very good practise. I like those German guys
who say: "QSL via bureau only". Ok, with this practise some busted qsos are
confirmed, but who really cares?

Why this conflicts with contest community then?

Well, at least I support all contest logs to be open after contest deadline
as it would prevent cheating in "our area of hobby".

If CQWW starts to publish the logs, it would be much less tempting to cheat.
We all would eg. see how one multi-multi has 100 xx-calls in their 160m log
where xx-country has only 2 active 160m stations, we would see from the open
log how single band operator who claims unassisted 180 countries has lots of
multipliers worked just after it appear in the cluster ... etc

73, Timo OH1NOA