[CQ-Contest] SS off time calculations

K6VVA dx35 at hilding.com
Sat Dec 16 20:14:48 EST 2006

Bravo to Tree for the excellent detailed explanation.  This should be
published in the NCJ, QST, CQ, and World Radio for starters.

Dale, KG5U, wrote:

 > Of all the features in today's contest logging software, it strikes me as
 > strange that on/off time tracking and checking is not one of them.

Yes, Yes & Yes!

Since the difference between 1st & 2nd place in many sporting events can
boil down to a tad over a microsecond in time difference (OK, that's a bit
of an exaggeration), why can't the logger programs at least output time
data down to the second?  All my computer time clocks have a second hand
field.  This could yield 59 seconds (+/-) of better on/off time accounting
in the logs.

Of course the only way to accurately handle the matter of "listening" time
would be for all contestants to have a mandatory logger-rig interface
connected to a sponsor's Master Control Center via an Internet
connection.  ANY listening or transmitting operator time could be monitored
to the nanosecond (OK, another exaggeration) and stored to be used in the
ultimate log checking processes.

The ideal would be to have the above coupled with real-time scoring (with
all log data also flowing upward in real time) and ALL results published on
a website or downloaded to each participant's computer from the sponsor
within 5 minutes or less after the final bell rings.  No opportunities for
folks to screw around with patching up their logs post-contest.

Science Fiction, you say?  Not really...just something to look forward to.

73...

Rick, K6VVA