[CQ-Contest] 40 meters on Saturday evening

Paul Roche rochep at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 10:41:02 EST 2006

Last night I "answered" at least 3 guys, send exchanges, and waited. Deleted
it and went on CQing. Only after the third time this happened did I realize
that the "caller" was outside the main 3Y0X pile-up all the way up at 7045
kc. I gave up after this, and ended with only 3 or 4 Qs for the whole
practice.

This will be a big problem on Saturday night, the pile-ups seem to be
getting WORSE, not better. I am new to Sprints but hanging out in the extra
portion, and about 7045, sounds like a good plan. They are also on 80 meter
CW, and the pile-ups also extend past 3530. Should we do the same strategy
for 80 meters? HOPEFULLY 20 meters will be open at least a little on the
East coast.

paul K3STX

>From about 0100 to 0300 UTC, 40 meters should be very interesting.  There
will likely be 3 major events all taking place at the same time - and the
band will be very crowded.

The three activities are the RTTY contest - the CW Sprint and the 3Y0PI
pileup (or whomever it is that has that pileup - they never send their
call).

In the past, the CW Sprinters have moved down the band and things worked
out.  However, there is likely going to be a hornets nest of stations
calling
the 3Y from 7025 up to about 7045.   Just this evening, I worked them when I
was on 7042.

I suspect you will find the CW Sprint operators splitting their time between
the extra band and up above the RTTY activity.

Just a heads up so you won't be totally shocked when you QSY from 20 meters
down to 40 and wonder what the heck is going on.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net