[CQ-Contest] Riddle Me this... BS7H

Doug Smith w9wi at w9wi.com
Thu May 3 11:13:30 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 08:31 -0400, Glenn VA3DX wrote:
> Under the same circumstances, I would have moved  up or
> down a KHZ.  I would not be so stubborn as to try to
> prove a point.
>
> I remember the morning well, and remember thinking that
> it must be a bootlegger, that N7MAL wouldn't do that
> intentionally. And yes I realized that the contest was going on.
>
> Myself, I would have qsyed knowing what was going on at
> the time. Obviously there were a lot of folks upset.

Probably likewise, but...

- Often, there is nowhere to QSY.  (hard to imagine this being the case
in JIDX but in some other contests, certainly)

- If we insist that the 14237 Daily Disease Discussion Net doesn't have
the absolute right to use 14237 if we're already there, then since when
does any DXpedition - even, say, North Korea - have the absolute right
to use 14024 if it's already in use by someone else?

- I almost wonder if the pileups would be better behaved -- and the QSO
rates better -- if the DX didn't always transmit on the same frequency?
If the callers had to actually *listen* - had to actually be able to
figure out where the DX is transmitting, rather than simply assume that
the DX will be on 14024/14195.  At least, the better operators who can
actually *hear* the DX would have a few minutes of advantage before
someone spots them on packet...

It just doesn't seem to me any rare expedition would lose any QSO totals
if they had to transmit on 14017 instead of 14024.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66