[CQ-Contest] technical challenge

Paul J. Piercey p.piercey at nl.rogers.com
Tue May 29 14:12:04 EDT 2007

This is what made it more fun for me in the WPX contests. I probably never
would have gotten my best score ever had I not been in a battle with another
local op in the SSB contest and I may have packed it in after the 2 hours of
CQing on 15M with no replies in the CW contest but I knew that one more
contact would get me closer to any arbitrary goal I set for myself. I ended
up getting 5 new countries on that band and mode.

> On the other hand, if I see that I am being murdered in a
> contest - 36 hours into a 48 hour test, I might very well
> throw in the towel and just quit.

Why? I can only assume that this attitude would come from the singular
desire to win above all else.

> Now folks keep mentioning the same tired phrase over and over
> - "I agree that if you're looking at a real time scoreboard,
> you're losing."  This is a load of crap.  It takes five
> seconds to type in a url or to hit a refresh button on your
> internet browser.  I guarantee you that folks spend more time
> picking their noses or digging ear wax out of their ears than
> the five seconds that it takes to type in a url....

Not even that... if you are connected continuously, you can reduce/minimize
the site window and view it at your leisure. That's what I did although the
site kept crapping out occasionally.

> Now if scores are to be posted, it must be callsign, entry
> category, and raw
> score only.   Giving out mult counts or QSO counts or band
> information gives
> away too much information, and should be supressed.
>
> 73 Rich NN3W

Yep, I agree with that. Any more information and you get into that
most-favoured realm of "assisted or non-assisted" and I'd rather not go
there again.

73 -- Paul VO1HE