[CQ-Contest] WW CW wrong Zone sent?

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Mon Nov 26 11:02:03 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 07:18:48PM -0500, Art Boyars wrote:
> A certain VE2 sent me Zone 2 (clearly, and also to the guy after me), but the cty file gave Zone 5.  Of course, I logged "2" (and added a note that he really sent 2).  Both Zones were mults (I was just fooling around in the Test, and did not bother to work the W/K zones, so might not have another Zone 5).
>
> So, what happens when the CQ Committee log checking software gets hold of my log?  If they think he is really Zone 5...

The CTY.DAT file that you use during the contest will likely not be the one
that the adjudicators use a month from now.  They will be using one that
has been updated to reflect unexpected changes that could affect multipliers
or QSO points such as this.

AD1C often posts a new CTY.DAT file after the big contests, for example, that
clarifies the half-dozen interesting cases (like the entity of the TO prefix
station that was not announced ahead of time, a VE2 in zone 2 that either
hadn't operated the contest before decided to travel to zone 2 for the
weekend, the GM that is really in the Shetlands, etc...)

And while I cannot speak for the CQWW, I know that in other contests the log
checking process builds a database of meta-data based on the exchange.  If
that station gave out zone 2 and everyone else logs it as zone 2, I would
think that zone 2 would be identified in the meta-data.  You could then go
through all the stations that sent a different zone than the CTY.DAT file
suggests is correct, and decide whether or not to update the CTY.DAT that
they use for that case.

> Will they ding me for bad data (not likely; I think they will recognize that he was sending 2)?
>
> Will they delete the Zone 2 mult (that's fair)?

The only way I think you'll lose the mult is if the adjudicators conclude that
the station was sending zone 2 but was actually in zone 5 (like they were
under the impresion that all VE2s were in zone 5 or something...)

> And, here's the rub, will they give me the Zone 5 mult.

You'll either get zone 2 or zone 5 for that contact, but not both :-)