[CQ-Contest] Move WPX Back to 30 Hours?

Randy Thompson k5zd at charter.net
Fri Mar 21 08:47:50 EDT 2008

History has shown that the shorter time period enables more people to be
competitive from more places around the world.  For example, from W6, it is
more likely to find 30 good hours that include Europe or JA propagation than
it is to find 36 hours.  Where from W1, we have 40+ hours of good prop to
Europe.  By limiting to 30 hours, both the W1 and W6 ops have the same
amount of rate opportunities to work with.

The biggest complaint against 30 hours is that there is a lot of time where
you may be wanting to operate, yet can't.  This tends to drive a lot of
activity into the first 24 hours and then leave the bands a little emptier
on day 2.

As a side note, the WPX RTTY contest has kept the 30 hour limit.  I am not
sure what prompted the increase from 30 to 36 hours.  Based on comments over
the years, the guys who are on expeditions or in high rate locations tend to
favor the longer operating time.  The guys in less advantage areas have
voted by giving up on the contest and so their comments have diminished.

Randy, K5ZD