[CQ-Contest] Russian DX Contest Log Checking

Sandy Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Wed Mar 11 00:09:35 PDT 2009

Hi Mark,
While it is something that has not, as far as I know, been adhered to as a
standard, a look at the ARRL rules, at least, shows that a QSO only takes
place when the callsigns and exchange information has been sent, received,
logged and acknowledged accurately by both parties.

>From the ARRL General Rules:

3. General Rules:

3.1.All operators must observe the limitations of their operator licenses
and station licenses at all times.
3.2.All callsigns and exchange information must be sent, received,
acknowledged and logged correctly by each station for a complete QSO.

So it would not be a stretch for the League to bust QSOs based on logging
inaccuracies by one operator regardless of whether the other operator knew
about the bust. But from what I can tell, if you claim to have worked Dave
at 0124Z and in the 6Y1V log at 0124Z is N5MT, and there is no N5MT claiming
to have worked Dave at the same time, you get credit for the Q, Dave loses
the Q. Similarly, if he logs you as AK and not OK, you keep it, he loses it.

That the rule has not been enforced does not, in my mind, mean it is not a
reasonable explanation of what is expected by both parties in a QSO.

73, Kelly
Ve4xt