[CQ-Contest] Deleted ARRL sections

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Fri Nov 6 08:24:26 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 09:57:28AM -0600, Idle-Tyme wrote:
> Now a question,  has the total numbers of sections remained the same?
> when one is split are two combined?  has the number always been the same?

The number of sections has changed over time. The first sweepstakes contests
had 68 sections.  In 1990, there were 77 sections.  Today, there are 80
sections.  The most recent changes were:

1 Jan 1996   Northern New York (NNY) created from counties            78
             previously assigned to Western New York (WNY)

1 Apr 1996   Two counties (Herkimer and Otsego) assigned to           78
             the newly-created Northern New York (NNY) section
             are returned to the Western New York (WNY)
             section

1 Jan 1998   Newfoundland-Labrador section (NL) created,              79
             removing that province from the Maritimes (MAR)
             section

15 Jan 2000  West Central Florida (WCF) created from counties         80
             previously assigned to Northern Florida (NFL)
             and Southern Florida (SFL)

I'm starting to collect these details as people on the reflector suggest them
and I can research them in the online QST archive.

> otherwise the mults are all messed up if someone was to try to compare a
> score with a all time record or similar ya know?

The records on the ARRLWeb do not try to adjust for the changing number of
sections over time.  The records for the ARRL International DX Contest also
do not try to adjust for the varying number of available DXCC entities over
time, either:

http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/ss-alltime-cw.html
http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/ss-alltime-phone.html
http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/intldx-rec-cw.html