[CQ-Contest] ARRL Rookie Contest

Doug Smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 05:33:59 PST 2010

James Duffey wrote:
> John - You wrote:
>> The contest hasn't even had its initial running and they are already trying to deal with problems??? What problems is real time logging going to
>> solve?
>
> Other than not being able to enter the contest without a computer and internet access, I don't see any down side to this.

That's not a minor downside.  I think sometimes those who have broadband take it for granted.  It's not universally available, and not universally
adopted where it is available.

I would imagine ~98% of us on this list have PCs with 'Net access in our shacks.  I would also imagine ~98% of us aren't rookies!  The target audience
of this contest is far less likely to have a computer in their shack.

BUT...

The official rules on the ARRL website don't say anything about realtime logging.  They only require that a Cabrillo file be submitted within 48 hours
of the contest.  (I presume it means within 48 hours of the contest *segment* - that you don't have until December to submit your SSB log)

How that jibes with the "...100% real time contact logging... I don't know.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66