[CQ-Contest] AO8HQ vs DA0HQ - ARRL did the worse in two decisions

Doug Smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 20:09:42 PDT 2010

Luc PY8AZT wrote:
> You are right. Since HQ proliferation, IARU Contest isn't fun for all.
> Instead expand overall contest participation, it concentrated all attentions
> (and Ops) on HQ station.
>
> I do support eradication HQ stations from IARU Contest and this is a strong
> opportunity to ARRL reviews and change IARU Contest rules.

I've participated in three ARRL HQ (W1AW/x) operations.  I'd REALLY hate to see the "distributed multi-multi" feature of this contest go away.  I
don't remember how our operations placed..  I know we didn't win..  but the fact is, it was just plain **FUN**.  Hopefully that's why most of us are
contesting.

(I rather like the way the ARRL HQ operation "floats" around the country, giving the contesters of different regions the opportunity to experience
this operation.  Admittedly, that's probably not practical for most IARU Societies.)

If same-country "cheerleaders" are an issue, maybe the best answer is to simply provide that QSOs between HQ stations and other stations in the same
country don't count?

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66