[CQ-Contest] DC and NAQP

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Sat Aug 11 07:53:10 PDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 07:27:12AM -0400, Eric Rosenberg wrote:

> I think you've missed the point in this discussion.

I do not think I have missed the point.

>  No one is asking that DC be called or considered to be a state. We
> aren't.

You want it to be a mult in a contest that uses states as multipliers.

> To those who say it will invalidate past records and scores, all I can
> say is that the Roger Maris asterisk argument has been proven to be
> silly and otherwise meaningless.

I have never said that and I think it is a silly argument.

> My question to you and those who oppose this rule change"
>
> Why are you against it? Isn't the lure of another mult to chase of
> interest as it is for the new VE and XE additions?

My real point is - why add DC to the NAQP?

This is equlivant to your statment.

I think it is ok that DC is a mult in some contests - if the contest
sponsor has decided that DC can and should be a multiplier in their
contest - then fine that is there choice.

But, does it need to be a multiplier in every contest?  Just because
some contests that uses states as multipliers has chosen to make DC a
multiplier does not mean that all of them need to make DC a multipler.
It is OK - and I contend it is good that contests have different rules
and different lists of multiplers.

The CQ and ARRL DX contests have slightly different lists of what
countries count in their contests.  This is OK.  But it does not mean
that the ARRL should add those extra 'countries' to it's multiplier
list or that CQ should take them away.

Part of my issue with this is that it seems to me that the only people
that care about this are people that live in DC.  I somethimes wish
they would just say:

"I would would like to be more special in the NAQP - can you make the
place I live in a multiplier?"

In the end I do not care one way or another but please do not tell me
the NAQP needs to do this because the ARRL has made DC a mult in some
of their contests.  Or that adding one multiplier to the NAQP will
make the contest more fun for anyone that is not in DC.

It might make the contest more fun for people in DC but I do not think
it will change it at all for anyone outside of DC.  And indeed maybe
it will make the contest less fun due to all of the constant QSY
requests.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net