[CQ-Contest] bluetooth t-coil headphone substitute for contesting

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Apr 6 07:06:43 EDT 2013

Like many older contesters, I use hearing aids.  Fortunately, my hearing
loss is all above communications frequencies, so I just take my hearing
aids off when on the radio.

But... There are devices on the market that communicate with hearing
aids via the t-coils built into most of them, and some of these even
connect cordlessly to bluetooth devices. It occurred to me that these
could offer a good cordless solution for use in the hamshack. To be
optimal, such a device would be stereo, of the neck-loop type rather
than ear hooks, and offer long-enough battery life for a 48-hour
contest.  The bluetooth transmitter would connect to my headphone jack,
or to a USB jack on my PC.

Has anyone had good experience with a particular unit?

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at