[CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Mar 19 13:16:17 EDT 2013

The actual truth of the matter is that there are VERY few Generation
X'ers in ham radio at all ... certainly not in HF radiosport.  Of course
they don't know how to operate in the manner you and I feel represents
proficiency because in all reality they probably couldn't care less.
And why should they?  The have far more technologically interesting,
dependable, and socially pervasive ways to interact with friends and
strangers than ham radio.  If they are there on your frequency at all
they are there to make a few fun contacts, maybe work a bit of DX, and
that's pretty much it.  Except for maybe a handful of exceptions they
aren't serious contesters and never will be.

So who are all those folks who zero beat you from the cluster spot or
bothered to set up CW Skimmer on their computer so they could find you
without effort?  They are the same people you worked in contests 20
years ago ... at least the ones that are still alive.

Blaming poor operating on the mechanisms that make it possible is
erroneous in the first place, but blaming it on youth is simply skewed
logic.

73,
Dave   AB7E