[CQ-Contest] SDR Generation

KU7Y ku7y.cw at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 20:51:46 EDT 2013

Al makes some good points.

One is this idea that everyone should be considered as SO2R.  I have no idea
where this came from.  Sure, I tried a couple of contests with 2 rigs and
did not like it.  Turned it into far too much work.  So I went back to just
using 1 radio.  So I guess I'm not even in a group that can be counted?

CHOICE is what it's all about.

I'll be 77 next May.  I've been to at least 3 baby shows and 4 goat ropings
and there isn't anyone who is going to tell me how I should operate in a
contest!  I am NOT a serious person, trying to dig out every point I can.
I'm operating for the FUN of it.

I have even tried assisted.  Watching the band map fill with new multi's,
clicking here and there, working all those great spots.  You know what?  I
found it very boring.  About like going fishing in a "pay to fish", well
stocked pond.  For me it just takes the thrill out of turning the dial and
finding a new one.

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong at all with using whatever
technology brings into the game.  But no one should think that everyone
should use it.

In my opinion, SO1R, meaning just one RX and TX, and SO2R are NOT the same
and should not be together, either in entry class or your thoughts.

While I have no data to support this thought, I'll bet that a major portion
the Q's that the serious players get in their logs are from the "less than
serious", using just one little radio with one little knob.

To paint the contesting world as either Assisted or just some low level SO2R
type, is painting with too broad a brush.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
SOWP 5545M
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club