[CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Mar 4 11:24:25 EST 2014

I spent many hours from P40A running Europe outside the US phone bands.  A
number of US stations still worked me.

John KK9A

To:	 "cq-contest at contesting.com" <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Subject:	 Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX
From:	 John Boudreau <John_Boudreau at gov.nt.ca>
Reply-to:	 "ve8ev at arrl.net" <ve8ev at arrl.net>
Date:	 Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:27:56 +0000

Being from a somewhat rare call area I literally have to hide outside the US
phone bands or I get swamped with W/VE stations calling me.  I'm always
shocked
at how many ops still call even if they're out of band.

I think part of the problem this year is that ARRL totally dropped the ball
advertising the contest.  None of the usual banner ads on their web pages, no
mention on their home page, nothing outside of the usual contest calendar on
their Contesting page, not even a mention on their Facebook page.  I would
hope
that the advertising usually results in a bit more heightened awareness among
the non-contesters and maybe even encourages a few more to get in on the
action.

 John VE8EV