[CQ-Contest] Logging question

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Aug 4 16:19:16 EDT 2015

Jukka,

You did the right thing.  Even in the days before LOTW, nearly any time I
went to a rare VHF grid, (IOTA) Island or DXCC I would get requests for
QSL's, sometimes with notes saying that I copied their call incorrectly.

Ie: They hear me work K3ABC, but their call was K3ADG. (well, in my opinion,
if they heard that, then I didn't work them, hi !)

For rare Islands or DXCC's I have often also received crazy QSL requests,
like from CY9AA I got cards from (of all places!)  Japan for 160m QSO's that
could not possibly have occurred. (we weren't that loud, sun was up in
midsummer  etc.).

For CY0AA, I got a couple cards from Europe for 6m QSO's that just did not
occur.  We only worked a handful of 6m QSO's..sigh.

Even for rare Islands when I have been mobile or had a very small QRP or LP
portable setup I have rec'd QSL requests from deep Asia for 15m SSB QSO's
during low sunspot years. Just didn't happen.

I guess the only way I would EVER change a log (but not a contest log..I
usually send mine 5 minutes after the contest end) is that if K3EEE had a
recording of me sending K3EEE and I logged K3EEW (straight typo)

I don't use LOTW, so this is a non issue for me personally.

You did the right thing. .and , yeah, if he knew you copied his call
incorrectly 2 out of 3 times, then 2 out of 3 QSO's were not good.  Asking
to correct it after the fact is very bad form.

Thanks for all the contest Q's !

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB