[CQ-Contest] LY9W ? - time to ban SCP?

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jul 30 18:32:21 EDT 2015

On Thu,7/30/2015 11:57 AM, David Gilbert wrote:
> Doug, I totally agree with you on this, and have for quite some time.
> I used to use SCP some years ago, but don't anymore because it simply
> feels like cheating.

I agree, except that it's a level playing field. (:

Actually, many of the major contests have exchanges that are nearly
automatic. Take CQWW -- only a few countries are in more than one zone,
and the logging program autofills the exchange as soon as you enter a
call, so all you have to do is copy the call and log it. It's beyond me
why it's considered a major contest. RAC is also super easy, no
ambiguity at all for the Canadian stations, which is where all the
points are. The hard part is finding the stations to work.

The challenging ones are NA Sprint (because you're splitting your brain
in too many pieces), and ARRL Sweepstakes there's actually an exchange
to copy! Some of the Russian contests would be interesting if
propagation from W6 to much of UA was good enough that we could work
more than a few hours. I tried working WAG last season -- I had
propagation on one band for 45 minutes.

73, Jim K9YC