[CQ-Contest] KL7RA Nikiski AK Station

sbloom at acsalaska.net sbloom at acsalaska.net
Thu Aug 4 10:45:01 EDT 2016

Hi all:
,
I'm happy (and sad, and scared and overwhelmed) to report that I've agreed to a three year lease with an option to buy on Rich Strand's station/property in Nikiski, AK.  This will actually be the second of Rich's QTHs to live on past him ..(N1TX/KL2R owns his original place in Fairbanks, AK).  I expect this contest season to be something of a "muddle through it" situation.  I'm already committed outside for all three of the CQWWs, but I would expect the station to be on in some fashion, and we'll definitely be there for the ARRL DXs.  Wigi Tozzi KL0R/AL7IF will be the "Station Manager."  We have a lot to figure out.  We may have the equipment and the antennas, but we don't have the mad genius who would climb towers in 0F in the middle of a contest to fix something.  By the end of the lease I/we will hopefully have figured out exactly what it takes to maintain an operation like this and have a long term plan in place.  I just hope we are a bit worthy to carry on the legacy.  The one regret I have is ...I didn't know Rich's XYL Jyl very well before this, but that is one smart, strong, and classy woman, who was *very* concerned and flexible about keeping the place in the contest community.

73 and Thanks

Steve KL7SB