[CQ-Contest] Inverter generators

Dave Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 25 08:46:30 EST 2016

The most popular inverter generators are only 2K watts.  I remember when a club I belonged to ran 3A on the ARRL Field Day we needed a big generator to run everything. One of the hams had a 10KW 1,2, and 3 phase generator on wheels and that was required. We had a 5KW for back up.  We tried several small generators but most could not do the job and we did not want a bunch of generators running.  They were noisy but I do not recall and hash problems.

I have a problem understanding how a 2K inverter will run a more than one rig plus small amp.  Especially as they are limited to 120V as KK9A mentioned.

73 Dave K4JRB