[CQ-Contest] Ideal monitor size

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Thu Oct 12 05:43:26 EDT 2017

Barry - When I replaced my shack PC 6 or 7 years ago, I looked at my preferred N1MM screen setup (and my DXLabs screens for day to day operating), preferred monitor position, etc. and went with a 24" diagonal monitor which works great, even for SO2V - except for RTTY contesting. For showing 1, let alone 2 or more, RTTY demodulators 27" was what I found would work. But, on my operating table setup it was easier to use a second monitor on a swing arm since I don't spend that much time in RTTY contests - to fit the 27 incher and keep it low above the desk would have required a wider table than what I use - if I was "redecorating" I'd go with 27" and still keep the swing arm and second display for special purposes..

There is a lot of Your Mileage May Vary, of course - in a contest, I don't really use gray line  maps,  spectrum displays, rotor indicators, etc. A few years ago for the PVRC Newsletter I did a "Show Us Your Screens" and lots of guys had multiple displays with all kinds of additional windows running.

That is, except for Fred K3ZO - he had a 13" black and white CRT showing a single DOS window running TR-LOG...

73 John K3TN