[CQ-Contest] Robotic contest operating, why knot?

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Dec 18 10:49:40 EST 2018

On 18/12/2018 04:59, Jim Brown wrote:

<snip>

> Yes, very cool. W6OAT and I are among ops who chase CQ Fields, and the
> ones that are all water are a challenge. Both of us worked this
> station for a new field!

Oh - I'm impressed!  You worked someone who wasn't there.

Reminds me of a rhyme attributed to Hughes Mearns

   When I was going up the stairs
   I met a man who wasn't there.
   He wasn't there again today,
   I wish to h-ll he'd go away.

> And for those who won't bother to go read about it, WSJT-X standing
> alone can only be set to will only answer one station responding to
> its own CQ and complete one QSO. The automation to reset that process
> was provided by programming of the computer running WSJT-X.

So now we're being selective about technology - isn't all technology good?
Only a purist, or a luddite, would object to automated WSJT-X QSOs.  Press
a single button, wait a few hours, and come back to see what "you've"
worked.
This technology can not be un-invented, and it's not about to go away any
time soon.

Progress is inexorable - but progress in what?  :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI