[CQ-Contest] Multiple QP Contests / Standard County Codes

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 19:58:10 EDT 2020

Try explaining county codes to a random guy, who is not in the contest, calling in on phone.
A more worthwhile effort would to be get county abbreviations to have a standard format, i.e. the first three or four letters so long as there are not more than one county sharing those letters (i.e. MONroe and MONtgomery if three letters are used).
On CW it's not a big deal - copy what's sent. But on phone, mixing first letters names with first consonants names is crazy. In Illinois, for example, McHenry is MCHE but McClennan is MCLN. As an out of station running in state guys, it's a real pain trying to guess what abbreviation will be accepted by the logging software.

73  -  Jim   K8MR